Once the wheels were in place, we flipped the pallets over, lined them up with one another, and locked the wheels in place. The four locking wheels plus the weight of the mattress were enough to keep the entire bed in place. We were talking about various things to use as a headboard and Nick suggested our turquoise pantry door, that we had used in our old apartment. So, we lugged it upstairs and gave it a a try.
Eh, not quite the look we're going for. With unique headboards on my mind, I stopped at Urban Ore on Saturday morning and perused their section of clearance windows and doors, and found this perfectly shabby chic window:
I took a gamble, since I didn't know the width of the window or the bed, and decided to buy it. And wouldn't you know? It worked like a charm!
And that's all it took to make our very own pallet platform bed! We realize the bed isn't everyone's style but we love the Anthropologie-ish, utilitarian look it has, and that it cost next to nothing to make.
Here's the cost break-down:
2 pallets: $13
4 rolling wheels + 4 locking wheels: $3.48 (after some Home Depot gift cards)
1 window: $10
You may have noticed the mess that was taking over this room during this project. This room is where ALL our pictures were being stored along with pretty much anything else that wasn't completely unpacked or didn't have a home. So, after completing the bed project we set to work on finishing the rest of the room. This is the scary mess we started with:
Not too shabby for a few hours of work!