Blacksmith Taper Lantern.
|via Pottery Barn|
|via Pottery Barn|
The first thing we did was hang up the fixture by a nail in the Room of Requirement. Then Nick dragged a garbage can underneath it and began
I used wadded up paper towel and frog tape to protect the sockets from wayward spray painting.Dexter outfit. I gave the whole fixture + the canopy and wire a quick once over with the spray paint. The paint covered really well, and gave it a textured iron-ish look (which is exactly what we wanted- score!)
chicken-nasty light fixture numero dos to reveal another dark ring of paint.
After testing 6 different "flat white" cans of paint from the extensive paint closet, we finally matched the paint and Nick rolled it on to cover the dark ring.
Since spray paint tends to dry rather quickly, we were ready to hang our new fixture only an hour later. And wouldn't you know, while we were in the Room of Requirement, we noticed a coil of old rope from the building's elevator (yes, it uses a rope, but only as an emergency cable to stop the elevator. Scary, right?!). It was way cooler than our store bought rope and destined to be thrown away so we of course decided to use it for our fixture. Plus, it had a lovely natural patina from 70 years of elevator gear oil. It was definitely meant to be since it already had a perfectly sized loop at one end.
the pallet bed, we figured it wouldn't be a natural walkway for people anyway.
We really like how the hexagonal shape of the fixture mimics the angles of the room. It works really well with the pallet bed, the refinished dresser, and farmhouse desk (that is in the process of being stained). The tower room is quickly becoming our favorite in the house and I can't wait to show you the finished product (in good time...).
Here's one last look at what $19 and a couple of hours can getcha:
I'm linking this to Thrifty Decor Chick's before and after.